Friday, October 23, 2009

Mary Evans, knitter extraordinaire

I met Mary Evans at Cliffview the other day and she invited me to her knitting group that meets every Wednesday at the Easthampton Community Center. I expected a nice little knitting group, but I had no idea the staggering productivity of these women, most from Easthampton, though also from Westhampton and Southampton. Mary showed me boxes of scarves, mittens, sweaters, blankets, and little apron like bags that fit around walkers. Each box was neatly organized and labelled: "Cancer," "Schools," "Veterans," etc. If anyone walks into the Community Center, they can come away with a cozy pair of mittens or brightly colored scarf if they need them.

This is the sort of thing that makes a town great. Good for Mary Evans (I think she said she is 93, very beautiful, I might add) and all these women doing this invisible work that makes life a little better for people. I am going back next week and asked if I can take some photos, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment